AMMA, MOM, MA...

Mother! That word, that's a feeling, to every child. She taught us to crawl, to stand, to walk, to eat, literally everything to live like a human being. Anytime wondered if one unfortunate day all these suddenly came to an end? After growing up, we have never thanked them for all they have taught us. We have never thanked God for leading a life where we never wanted to be supported by someone for our personal needs.  I personally never did until a few days back.
All these struck me just 3 months back, when I got a call from my dad saying himself and mom met with an accident, they are on the way to the hospital and Amma is sick. Staying almost 100 kms away from home town, at my husband's place, this news literally petrified me. I still can't recollect the bundle of emotions I had gone through until I reached back to Ernakulam. I cursed every single God I could imagine off for putting Amma and Acha through all these.
By the time I met Amma she had already undergone an emergency procedure and was shifted back to ICU. She was not completely weaned off anaesthesia. She had sustained a hip dislocation and acetabular fracture, with minor rib fracture, abrasions and contusions.
The 3 months that followed taught me a lot of things. She was completely bedridden and was dependent on me for almost everything, from feeds to routines. She could'nt even turn her body to either sides. That is when I recognised, I had to literally care for her like a baby. It was'nt mere multi tasking, but multi facing. I was a doctor to her, a friend, a nurse, a daughter, and a part of her.
There were days when we both broke out into tears for putting us through this physical and mental dilemma. But I thanked God, he gave me her back! Be it in a temporary phase of disability, but I still cant imagine what would have happened to me if the story had gone to the worst side.
I watched her learning to turn to either sides, lift herself up from bed, sit up and finally walk with support. I know my fellow doctors will find these similar to our pediatric milestones. Yes, it was indeed her second birth and I was her mother.
I thought I should put this up, because this is a world were we kids kill our parents many atimes mentally, because they are a burden to our busy schedules. Remember they are the ones who brought us and taught us to build our lives in this busy world.😄

Comments

Popular Posts